Festive China: Dragon Boat Festival
Dragon Boat Festival, also known as Duanwu Festival, is a traditional and important celebration in China.
In 2021, Dragon Boat Festival falls on June 14 (Monday). China will have 3 days of public holiday from Saturday (June 12) to Monday (June 14), and we will be back at work on Tuesday, June 15.
Facts to Understand Dragon Boat Festival
- Chinese name: 端午节 Duānwǔ Jié /dwann-woo jyeah/ 'start [of the] fifth traditional solar month festival'
- Date: month 5 day 5 of the Chinese lunar calendar
- History: over 2,000 years
- Celebrations: dragon boat racing, health-related customs, honoring Qu Yuan and others
- Popular festival food: sticky rice dumplings (zongzi)